We all know Twitch and Youtube streaming, and some may know Hitbox. But what if you wanted to implement your own streaming server?
So what are the actual benefits to just using the mentioned services?
- Private streams, no one can see them, no one can find them
- Record everything without additional cost
- Define which qualities the stream will be transcoded to
- Embed streams on your own websites
- May run "offline" just in your home for surveilance uses.
But there are disadvantages too:
- Needs to run on a rented or owned box (so does probably cost something)
- Machine with the server needs to be powerful
- Probably does not scale to many viewers