We all know Twitch and Youtube streaming, and some may know Hitbox. But what if you wanted to implement your own streaming server?
So what are the actual benefits to just using the mentioned services?
- Private streams, no one can see them, no one can find them
- Record everything without additional cost
- Define which qualities the stream will be transcoded to
- Embed streams on your own websites
- May run "offline" just in your home for surveilance uses.
But there are disadvantages too:
- Needs to run on a rented or owned box (so does probably cost something)
- Machine with the server needs to be powerful
- Probably does not scale to many viewers
Fear a clicking orgy to setup the VPN from the last blog post? It seems it is possible to completely script that. No more clicking...
Wow this was harder than i thought.
I just wanted to get a modern VPN on all my devices without the hassle to install third-party VPN clients on all of them (hello OpenVPN o/). The protocol of choice seems to be IKEv2 as all devices that I own seem to support this and it is more secure than the old PPTP or L2TP protocols the devices could support natively.
So with the Windows 10 Anniversary update came the "Bash on Windows" feature. It is still beta and this really shows. So let me tell you of my experience getting it to work.